It is necessary to have your most recent foreign school-leaving certificate recognised if you wish to do any of the following in Baden-Württemberg:
- attend certain colleges of further education,
- apply for traineeships in certain skilled professions.
The foreign school certificate will be classified with a comparable qualification in Baden-Württemberg for recognition purposes.
Examples of certificates or final qualifications that can be classified and/or recognised:
- leaving qualification from a “Realschule” or equivalent level of education
- leaving qualification from a “Hauptschule” or equivalent level of education
- Vocational qualifications awarded by a regulated school
- higher education entrance qualification for vocational purposes
- higher education entrance qualification for German applicants with foreign certification
The Department of Evaluation and Recognition for Certificates of Education at the administrative headquarters (Regierungspräsidium) in Stuttgart
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
You can apply for the recognition in writing or personally. Please use the form provided. Please observe the special notices. You must also explain why you need the evaluation.
Send the filled in application form with all necessary documents by post to the competent body.
You will receive written notification of the results of the evaluation and any recognition of equivalence.
The authority responsible for recognising your qualification will issue a certificate if the equivalence of your qualification is recognised.
- Copy of the passport or personal identity document
- for citizens of non-EU countries: residence permit
- foreign school-leaving certificates with list of subjects and grades
- evidence of studies (if available)
- if the name on the certificate is not the same as the name on your identification document: evidence of the name change, in both the original language and as an official translation
- If you are applying to have the fees waived on the grounds of low income, you will also need:
- evidence of income (family income)
- evidence of the number of family members
You must submit your certificates and their official translations as officially certified copies. Copies are officially certified, if an original stamp on these certifies that the copy corresponds to the original. Other original language documents must be submitted by you in the original language and as an official translation, each as a normal copy, not as an officially certified copy. Documents in English or French are excepted; these do not have to be translated as a rule.
Note: Official translations may only be prepared by sworn translators.
- § 58 Landeshochschulgesetz (LHG) (Hochschulzugang)
- § 10 Gesetz über die Angelegenheiten der Vertriebenen und Flüchtlinge (Bundesvertriebenengesetz - BVFG) (Prüfungen und Befähigungsnachweise)
- EU-Richtlinien und zwischenstaatliche Vereinbarungen zur Anerkennung beruflicher Befähigungsnachweise
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart released it on 15.10.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.