The ICT card is a residency title. It supplements the existing residency title. This applies to internal company transfers within the EU. In concrete terms, this relates to temporary secondments of personnel of companies which maintain their place of business outside of the EU to a branch of the company or same corporate group within the European Union.
The ICT card is primarily intended to increase mobility within Europe. Its aim is to make it easier for employees to also be able to work temporarily in branches of their company in the EU. In return, it should be easier for companies which maintain branches in EU Member States to transfer their employees.
You can also obtain an ICT card as a trainee. This can be issued within the framework of an internal company transfer during a trainee programme. A trainee is defined as somebody
- with a university degree and who
- is participating in a trainee programme, the purpose of which is professional development or further training in relation to business techniques and methods
- and which is paid.
- for issuing a national visa before entering German territory: the German diplomatic mission abroad (embassy, consulate)
- For the issuing of the residency permit after arrival: the foreigners’ office
- The Foreigner's Authority is:
- the city administration if you live in a city district or major city district
- the rural district office if you live in a rural district.
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
You can obtain the ICT card if you
- are working for the host company as a manager or specialist and
- have been employed with the company for at least six months prior to the internal company transfer and will be employed by the company for the duration of the transfer without any interruptions. The transfer should be for a minimum of 90 days and last for a maximum of three years. In case of trainees, the maximum period of validity is one year.
Above all, the following requirements must be fulfilled for the transfer of an employee within his or her company or corporate group:
- Proof of qualification as a manager, specialist or trainee.
- Employed with the company for at least 6 months.
- Agreement of the Federal Employment Agency.
- Employment contract with the relevant company branch and/or transfer letter or supplementary secondment agreement with the company.
- Place of residence and living of the applicant in a third country.
- The employment contract must be comparable with those of the host company.
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 04.08.2020. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts. In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.