Deregistration at the Registration Authorities

If you move out of a residence and do not move into a new residence in Germany, then you have to deregister at the Registration Authorities.

This means that you always have to deregister, if you

  • go and live abroad
  • give up one of your residences in Germany (e.g. a secondary residence), without moving into a new residence.

On the other hand, you do not have to deregister if you

  • move within Germany, i.e. move out of one residence and move into a new residence. In this case, it is sufficient to register in your new municipality. The municipality will then inform the previous municipality that you have moved house.
  • give up your previous primary residence and thus your secondary residence becomes your sole residence or if you have several secondary residences, one of these secondary residences becomes your new primary residence. In this case you have to register the change in your primary residence to the Registration Authorities of your new primary residence within one week in writing. They then inform the Registration Authorities of your previous primary residence and if necessary also the authorities of your secondary residences.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

the municipal administration/city council (Gemeinde-/Stadtverwaltung) as the registration authority

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


You have to fill in and sign the official registration form for deregistration. The registration form is available at the municipal offices. In some municipalities, the registration form is also available as a download.

If the municipality has an automated register of residents, then you don’t have to fill in the registration form if you go in person to the registration authorities and confirm the accuracy of your data by signing a printout.

If the registration authorities have internet access, you can also transfer the required data to them by using a qualified electronic signature.

Tip: Members of the family, who have lived in the same flat and are also moving with you, can all use one registration form.

After having deregistered, you will receive a confirmation of deregistration for your files.


You have to deregister within a week.

Required documents

If necessary, the registration authorities could ask you to present above all:

  • the identity card or passport of the person required to register or members of the family
  • children’s passport or birth certificate (for those children who do not own a passport)

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 18.01.2016. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.