Academic degrees, titles and job titles used by recognised late repatriates - applying for conversion
The following applies to degrees acquired at a recognised institute of higher education abroad:
you may use your degree, e.g. “inzener-mechanik” or “ekonomist”, in the form in which it was awarded without obtaining special permission. However, if you acquired your degree outside the European Union, you must mention the institute of higher education where you obtained the degree.
You may use your foreign degree in the following forms:
- transliterated into Latin script
- abbreviated in the manner permitted or customary in its country of origin
- with a literal German translation added in parentheses
If you are a recognised late expatriate, you may apply to have your foreign degree converted into a German equivalent. The same applies to your spouse and children.
The conversion will only be made if your foreign degree is equivalent to a German one.
Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
You must make an informal application and submit it to the competent authority together with the documents required.
If you fulfil the legal requirements, the competent authority will convert your foreign degree into a German equivalent and will send you an official letter (notice) in this respect.
- officially certified copy
- of diploma with original supplement
- of diploma translation with supplement
- of late repatriation certificate or displaced persons’ identification card
- confirmation of any name change if applicable
- copy of your personal ID card
- personal data sheet
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wissenschaftsministerium released it on 06.12.2018. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.