Professional recognition

You can apply to have any higher education qualification acquired abroad evaluated. In the course of a determined procedure, it is evaluated in a binding manner as to whether your professional qualifications are comparable to German ones.

In the evaluation process, the competent bodies compare the foreign professional qualifications with German ones. When carrying out the check, they take into account formal criteria, such as the contents and duration of the professional training course.

This recognition procedure is currently possible for 340 state-recognised dual training occupations.

Recognition is required for “regulated” occupations. You may not work in these occupations in Germany until you have obtained recognition. Occupations in respect of which access and permission to practice require proof of a qualification are “regulated”.

Note: The regional government of Stuttgart carries out the assessment process for educators, child carers and carers for the elderly, as well as qualified sports teachers and freelance gym and sports teachers. The regional government of Tübingen manages the assessment process for teachers.

You can apply for permission to use the professional title of engineer from the Chamber of Engineers of the State of Baden-Württemberg.

There are no assigned electronic applications available.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart released it on 23.07.2019.

Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts. In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.