Are you already entered in the register of craftsmen and do you wish to practise an additional craft? Then under certain conditions, you can apply for a practising permit for an additional craft in accordance with §7a of the German Crafts Ordinance (HwO).
Please note: With a practising permit, you are not permitted to use a master title and cannot train in the craft concerned. It can be limited to partial activities of a craft which are definable technically and economically.
The Chamber of Crafts and Trades (Handwerkskammer) in whose district your future premises or your place of residence are located
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
The requirements are as follows:
- Entry in the register of craftsmen
You must already be entered in the register of craftsmen for a craft which requires a permit as the owner or operations manager.
- Proof of expert knowledge
You must prove exceptional knowledge and skills in the (partial) craft concerned.
Should a sufficient proof of qualification not be possible, you can prove the necessary knowledge and skills in an informal specialist examination. The examiner must be commissioned by the competent chamber of crafts. You must pay the cost of the examination yourself.
You must submit the application for issuing of a practising permit to the competent chamber of crafts. As a rule, you can also send the application by e-mail. The Chambers of Crafts and Trades (Handwerkskammern) provide a form for this purpose that you can download from the website of your competent Chamber.
After your documents have been examined, you will receive either a notice that you have been granted an exemption or a notice of rejection.
On request, the chamber of crafts will listen to the competent specialist organisation.
- Proof of entry in the register of craftsmen
- Proof of expert knowledge in the new craft which is being applied for
- training, further training and employment references if available
- Copy of the personal identity document or equivalent ID (should you not have submitted the proof of identity already at the time of entry in the register of craftsmen)
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Baden-Württembergische Handwerkstag e. V. für die Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Handwerkskammern released it on 02.08.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.