Licence committee - applying for a licence as an NHS doctor

Doctors and psychotherapists who want to treat NHS patients and invoice their treatments through the health insurance companies must be licensed to do so.

The committees issue the licences according to their requirements planning. This regional planning ensures that NHS healthcare is available in all areas.

The licence places you under an obligation to practise as an NHS doctor full-time. However, you can also apply for a licence to carry out only 50 percent of your work with NHS patients.

Note: If you wish to work in an area which according to the committee’s requirements planning is oversupplied with NHS doctors, you will have to reckon with licence restrictions or waiting times.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle den Onlineantrag und die Formulare der zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben

Zuständige Stelle

the licence committee of the registration district, in which you want to practice as an NHS doctor

Hinweis: Sobald Sie eine Postleitzahl oder einen Ort angegeben haben, können wir Ihnen an dieser Stelle weitere Informationen zu der für Sie zuständigen Stelle anzeigen. Ort angeben
Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


The prerequisites for obtaining the licence are:

  • you are entered as a doctor or psychotherapist in the Register of Medical Practitioners (Arztregister)
  • you are not hindered by other employment commitments or non-voluntary activities from providing medical care to NHS patients for the time required as per the terms of your licence
  • you do not practise any form of medicine that is incompatible with the work of NHS doctors, and
  • you do not have any serious health issues or other personal failings that prevent you from practising medicine in the long term.

Note: In certain circumstances, you can still be licensed as an NHS doctor even if impediments exist as in the second and third points listed above. However, the corresponding impediment must be removed within three months of the licence becoming incontestable. Work in licensed clinics, preventive and rehabilitative institutions is compatible with the work of NHS doctors.


You must apply for the licence in writing.

Your application must include the following information:

  • the NHS practice for which you are applying for a licence
  • the medical title under which you are applying for a licence

The licensing committee will pass a resolution on your application after holding talks. You will then receive a decision in the form of a resolution. The resolution will stipulate the date by which you must commence your work as an NHS doctor at an NHS practice.

Note: You can apply to have this date postponed if significant grounds exist. If licence restrictions apply to the NHS practice at which you wish to work, you must commence your work as an NHS doctor within three months of receiving the resolution, otherwise the licence will become void.

The resolution will be sent to you together with information on legal remedies. The Federal Association of National Health Physicians (Kassenärztliche Vereinigung) and the national associations of health insurance companies and substitutional social health insurance institutions will also get a copy of the resolution.


You must commence your work as an NHS doctor by the date stipulated in the resolution.

Note: You can apply to have this date postponed if significant grounds exist.

If you are granted a licence for an NHS practice in an area affected by licence restrictions, you must commence your work as an NHS doctor within three months of the resolution being passed, otherwise your licence will become void.

Required documents

  • Excerpt from the Register of Medical Practitioners showing the following information:
    • date of licence
    • date entered into the Register of Medical Practitioners
    • date on which your right to use a title referring to a specialism or special area and/or an additional title was recognised
  • evidence of work as a medical practitioner since being granted a licence.
  • curriculum vitae
  • certificate of good conduct (Führungszeugnis)
  • declaration concerning the service or employment relationships existing at the time of application (with information on the earliest time at which the employment can be terminated)
  • declaration concerning whether
    • you are dependent on drugs or alcohol,
    • you have been dependent on drugs or alcohol within the last five years, or
    • you have undergone withdrawal treatment for drug addiction or alcoholism in the last five years and
    • there are any legal impediments to you practising as a doctor
  • The competent authority may request additional documents, e.g.
    • confirmation from the KZV for the areas in which you have already practised or were registered as an NHS doctor (with details of the location and duration of the NHS practice or licence and the reasons for its termination)
    • a declaration that your licence to practise as an NHS doctor is to be restricted to 50 percent

You must present originals or certified transcripts of these documents.

Note: If you are unable to present any confirmation of your activities as a doctor to the licence committee, you must provide an alternative form of proof. Please request further information from the competent authority.


  • Application for licence: EUR 100.00
  • On receipt of a positive final notice (when the licence has become incontestable), additionally: EUR 400.00


As an NHS doctor, you must hold your surgery in an NHS practice.

You can also use this practice as a branch practice for the treatment of NHS patients insofar as this improves the healthcare provided to insured patients at other locations. However, you must obtain the KZV’s consent before doing so. The operation of a branch practice may not significantly impair the treatment provided to insured patients at the NHS practice.

If you wish to relocate your NHS practice, you must apply to the licence committee. The committee may only approve the relocation if there are no grounds relating to the provision of NHS healthcare that indicate otherwise. A relocation will for example invariably be vetoed if there are not enough doctors at your current NHS practice.

You may contest the licence committee’s decision by lodging an appeal with the appeal tribunal.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Ministerium für Arbeit und Sozialordnung, Familien und Senioren released it on 17.07.2015. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.