You can, in certain cases, receive a permanent residency permit of unlimited duration in addition to the visa.
Note: Your husband or wife or your civil partner and your children under the age of 18 are entitled to join you as a family member. They may also take up employment.
- for the issuing of a national visa prior to travel to the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany: the German representations abroad (embassy, consulate)
- following arrival: the foreigners authority in whose district you maintain your place of residence.
- Depending on the place of residence, the foreigners authority is the city council or the rural district office.
Tip: A list of the representations of the Federal Republic of Germany abroad can be found on the Internet pages of the Auswärtiges Amt.
- Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
- Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
- Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
- Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.
The requirements for the permanent residency permit are:
- You fulfil the passport and visa requirements.
In respect of the passport requirements, it suffices if you are in possession of a replacement identity card.
- Your maintenance costs are covered, without you needing recourse to public funds.
Your maintenance costs are deemed to be covered if:
- you generate income to the amount of the standard rate of social assistance plus
- costs for accommodation and heating, as well as
- any health insurance contributions.
- No reason for deportation exists against you if:
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You belong to the following groups of persons:
- Researcher with specific specialist knowledge
- Teaching staff or researcher in a marked function
- Your integration into the living conditions of the Federal Republic of Germany is guaranteed.
- of compliance with the passport and visa obligation,
- of guaranteed maintenance and that your integration into the living conditions of the Federal Republic of Germany is ensured (as a rule by means of submission of an employment offer)
- of the professional or academic qualification
You will receive the permanent residency permit in the form of a check card with additional electronic functions.
Citizens of member states of the European Union (EU) ) have access to the German labour market due to their right of free movement. As part of your right of residence, you can work in Germany as a self-employed person. This also applies to other citizens of countries of the European Economic Area (EEA) (EWR) as well as to Swiss citizens.
Should you not fulfil the academic or professional requirements, it is possible to obtain the following residency titles following your arrival:
- Residency permit for the purpose of employment
- Residency permit for the purpose of self-employment
- Residency permit for the purpose of research
You can clarify the choice of residency title during the visa process.
- § 5 Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG) (Allgemeine Erteilungsvoraussetzungen)
- § 19 Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG) (Niederlassungserlaubnis für Hochqualifizierte)
- § 44 Aufenthaltsverordnung (AufenthV) (Gebühren für die Niederlassungserlaubnis)
- § 284 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III) (Arbeitsgenehmigung-EU für Staatsangehörige der neuen EU-Mitgliedstaaten)
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 06.11.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.